Thursday, November 27, 2008

Recipe for Russian Tea Cookies



The baking bug bit me this year! There I was pulling out and rifling through my recipes! V, who usually doesn't indulge in desserts, loves my Russian Tea Cookies. So I knew I had to make those. I also made Acorn Squash - Raisin bread (my own new creation) and Pecan bars. Later on those.

Here's the recipe for Russian Tea cookies. I have also heard them referred to as Mexican Wedding cookies. I am not sure if there is a difference between the two. Maybe the Mexican Wedding cookies have some spices, like cinnamon?


Ingredients:
1 cup butter softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar for dough + 1/2 cup for rolling
1+1/2 tsp Vanilla
2 cups Flour
1 dash salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts

1. In a bowl, beat together the butter and 1/2 cup powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth and creamy
2. Mix together flour, salt, baking powder. Add to bowl and mix until blended well.
3. Add chopped nuts and mix well
4. Using hand, knead and roll the dough out into 2 balls.
5. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for atleast 1 hour



6. Take balls out of refrigerator and flatten out and cut into approximately 20 equal sized pieces to get total of 40 cookies
7. Shape into marble-sized balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet
8. Bake at 375C for 10 mins until firm but not browned. (The bottoms inevitably become little browned but that is okay)
9. Roll in powdered sugar when still warm



10. Let cool and roll in powdered sugar again

These eminently poppable cookies are totally irresistible and I had to hide some away from V to give to neighbors and friends.


I submitted this entry to "Click - the photo event" hosted by Jugalbandhi where the current theme is "red".


No comments: