Must say the project was highly successful and we managed to beat the deadline (barely)! We shared the biscotti with our friends who live in beautiful Ashland when we had gone over there for the Oregon Shakespeare Festival (http://www.orshakes.org/).
Here's the recipe from my friend K. (Contains egg). I made 1/2 the recipe in 2 batches. Added freshly grated lemon zest (about 2 Tbsp) in one batch.
4 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 ¼ cups sliced Almonds (I baked whole almonds in oven at 350C for 15 mins and chopped them roughly)
1 ½ cups Craisins (raisins also work)
4 teaspoons anise seed
1 teaspoon vanilla
½ teaspoon almond extract
4 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 375C
- Grease a cookie sheet
- Sift together in a bowl
- Stir in almonds, Craisins and Anise seed to flour mixture.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs, vanilla, almond extract and milk.
- Stir liquid mixture into flour mixture.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured counter, and knead until mixed well.
- Shape into two logs, about 8 inches long, 5 inches wide, and 1 inch tall. Shape a gentle curve on the top of the shorter distance. The curve will be the ‘top’ of the Biscotti when you cut it into ¾ inch by 5 inch slices.
- Put on cookie sheet and bake 30 minutes, turning pan after 15 minutes of cooking.
- Take out of oven, cool for 15 minutes, and slice into slices ¾ inch by 5 inch long.
- Take these slices and lay them down on the cookie sheet. (This is to brown the outer edges of the Biscotti and crisp them more.)
- Turn oven down to 300 degrees and put Biscotti back in oven and cook for 15 minutes.
Biscotti, Masala Chai and Taming of the Shrew. What else does one need?!