Saturday, March 28, 2009

Oven-braised baby turnips and baby carrots

We got a bunch of baby turnips in our CSA box this week and I still had the baby carrots from last time. So I started hunting around for recipes to use them up and found a rather simple but appealing recipe and decided to give it a try.



Wow! The result was just out of this world. I made a few modifications to the recipe based on what I had in hand.. it was just so mouth-wateringly delicious. So here's what I did:

Ingredients:

1 bunch baby turnips
1 bunch baby carrots
1/4 cup lemon / lime juice
2 Tbsp olive oil
salt
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small pc ginger grated
4 Tbsps chopped parsley


Method:


  1. Wash the turnips and trim the stalk so just a little bit is left at the top.
  2. Wash the carrots and do the same. If there is still soil left on the carrots, then peel the outer skin
  3. Whisk together remaining ingredients except the parsley
  4. Place the turnips and carrots in an oven-proof dish and pour the braise and make sure everything is coated. There is about 1/4 inch of liquid at the bottom of the dish.
  5. Sprinkle the parsley on top
  6. Cover and bake in a 350F oven for 30 - 40 minutes
The carrots which were fully immersed in the braise were so lemony! The turnips were milder yet delicious. I am going to see what else I can use for this recipe.

Being part of the CSA is exhausting in a way. Just looking all those parsnips and parsley root and turnips and big bunches of escarole filling up the refrigerator makes me take a deep breath. When V and I shopped at the Farmer's Market, we had a plan in mind. If one or both of us were going to be traveling, then we could plan for it. On the other hand, the CSA forces us to be more creative and spontaneous (although so far I have no bright ideas about what to do with parsley root!). We are still weighing the benefits of the CSA to see if we want to continue.

No comments: